SkyWalking Satellite: an open-source agent designed for the cloud-native infrastructures, which provides a low-cost, high-efficient, and more secure way to collect telemetry data, such that Trace Segments, Logs, or Metrics.
Why use SkyWalking Satellite?
Observability is the solution to the complex scenario of cloud-native services. However, we may encounter different telemetry data scenarios, different language services, big data analysis, etc. Satellite provides a unified data collection layer for cloud-native services. You can easily use it to connect to the SkyWalking ecosystem and enhance the capacity of SkyWalking. There are some enhance features on the following when using Satellite.
- Provide a unified data collection layer to collect logs, traces, and metrics.
- Provide a safer local cache to reduce the memory cost of the service.
- Provide the unified transfer way shields the functional differences in the different language libs, such as MQ.
- Provides the preprocessing functions to ensure accuracy of the metrics, such as sampling.
SkyWalking Satellite is logically split into three parts: Gatherer, Processor, and Sender.
- Gatherer collect data and reformat them for SkyWalking requirements.
- Processor processes the input data to generate the new data for Observability.
- Sender would transfer the downstream data to the SkyWalking OAP with different protocols.